Sunday, November 25, 2007

Marilyn Minter

I didn’t particularly like Minter’s photographs themselves but putting art on billboards is a great idea. I like idea of putting art on billboards because it is unexpected and billboards are normally covered in ugly ads. However, because Minter’s photographs look somewhat like advertisements, seeing them on billboards wouldn’t be as unusual as seeing a photograph that looked more like fine art and less like an advertisement on a billboard. If I had seen these billboards while walking or driving through New York, I would not have realized that they were art, and would have been thoroughly confused. Because the art is in a public location that is free for anyone to look at and not protected from the weather, I feel like I have lower expectations of the art and would be more impressed with the same piece of art on a billboard than in a museum or gallery.

No comments:

Post a Comment