Monday, November 5, 2007

Field Trip

Photo classes are excellent because they're pretty much the only college classes I've had that go on field trips. I really enjoyed the trip to Portland. I liked Tanja Hollander’s landscapes a lot although I wasn’t a big fan of her window shots. Her landscapes, particularly the water shots reminded me of the series of photos that are half ocean and half sky (I forget the photographer’s name). It was fun to photograph the basement of the mill and see the Photographic Collective’s darkrooms. I would like to take the color darkroom class at the Bakery Photographic Collective either next month or next semester.

The photo exhibit at the Portland Museum of Art was great because it was a large collection of diverse photos all in one place.

I didn’t like “The Wonder Gaze” as much as the Glickman collection or Tanja Hollander’s work. I liked the name of the exhibit, “The Wonder Gaze”, and the idea of photoshopping out the victims of the hangings in order to focus on the spectators. However, I didn’t find the six color photographs all that aesthetically pleasing, except for the one with the old haunted looking tree. The color photographs just didn't hold my attention for very long, and I felt like they were unnecessarily large. Also, I was very surprised by how expensive the photos were.

Looking at the photographs in Portland and Kolster’s “Safety Envelopes” series has made me more interested in looking at other people’s work… I now procrastinate by looking at photographs online.

No comments:

Post a Comment