Monday, October 15, 2007

Erik Hansen

I’m not a big fan of Erik Hansen’s I-scapes. I guess I prefer more realistic photos with subtler lies. However, I’m impressed that I can’t tell whether he photographs alien-like sculptures/sets that he’s made or whether the photos are computer manipulated or both. My favorite of his works on his website is “Take Your Time… We’re Waiting for You” because it seems the most realistic (although I don’t like the overdramatic name). Another nice aspect of “Take Your Time… We’re Waiting for You” and some of his other photos is how he makes it difficult to judge scale in his works. It is difficult to judge the scale of the objects in “Refuge” and “Take Your Time… We’re Waiting for You.” In the first image, the ladder seems very small relative to the grass and in the second, the mountainous objects seems quite small compared to the grass. Another example is in “Thin Skinned” where I think I’m looking at a fairly close up shot of sand with pieces of string running through it but maybe it is something else entirely photographed from far away.

No comments:

Post a Comment