Thursday, October 25, 2007

Aline Smithson

I love practically all of Aline Smithson’s photos aesthetically. In particular I like the composition and the lighting. The “People I Don’t Know” series of collected photographs held by others is really nice. Over the summer I had been looking at my grandparents’ old photographs and was trying to think of some way to incorporate them into a photo project. Smithson’s idea for using old photographs in a new way is great, and exactly what I wish I had thought of. Smithson’s portraits are all really great. I like the “Charlotte” series of her daughter and the “Regarding Henry” series of her son. One of the few series of hers that I didn’t like as much is series of the portraits of the hugo doll. Aesthetically, I like the way the photos look, but the idea seems kind of dull and the subject doesn't interest me. I don’t like her hand painted photos as much as her black and white or color photographs. Her photos are great and many of them are just like what I wish my photos could be like.

No comments:

Post a Comment